Skip to main content

Modest

"Do you think I look good like this?"

I knew I'd have to cross this bridge at some point. Kaybree looked up at me with her little booty shorts, feeling good about herself and the way she looks and wanting confirmation that she looked cute.

She did look cute. She's perfectly thin and beautiful and youthful, with no cellulite to be seen. She was wearing a tshirt and some biker shorts. The biker shorts are short but look adorable on her. The only reason I was asking her to change was because an aunt posted a Facebook status about the "modesty" debate in her house that morning and we were about to head over to their house. I didn't want to ruin their modesty debate by allowing my child to be the bad example.

But I struggle with the modesty debate. Because shouldn't it be what's on the inside that matters? Yes, if Kaybree were older I probably wouldn't allow her to wear those shorts outside the house--but then again maybe I would if she were playing a sport. I wouldn't let her wear something that showed bare tummy or was sleeveless.

I want her to know whatever makes her feel comfortable and confident is fine with me. She should be proud of her cute little body. At this point in her life she's not wearing short shorts to get the attention of a boy. She's wearing it because it's cute and comfortable. But at some point even if she feels cute and comfortable we may need to steer her in a more conservative direction. Cause she's a cute girl.

Modesty is so much more than the clothes you put on your body. It's the way you treat others more than anything. Not putting yourself above anyone else. Some day that may mean not showing off more than you need to. We'll have to prepare her for that. I hope we don't have to have too many modesty debates in our household. I hope as the girls learn how to treat their bodies and other people they'll know what is OK to wear and what isn't. I don't want to set hard and fast rules. I want to teach correct principles and let her decide.

For the record--baby girl you look beautiful in anything! You are a stunning little being and I am proud to be your mama! Even on the days when you wear all the variations of pink in your closet and refuse to let me brush your hair. You work it, girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...