Skip to main content

Hey Mom

This was originally written 8/15/17:

J walked outside and called his mom last night. His real mom. The mom who brought him to this earth. The mom he has been dying to speak to for 10 years. That mom. She was anxious to talk to him too. She didn't even know he no longer lives with his grandparents. She hunted him down there when she was released from jail but DCS wouldn't give her any information on his whereabouts.

They talked for hours last night. I admit, I did my best to eavesdrop. Their conversation was mostly sharing pictures and memories and her exclaiming her joy over and over.

If I just had me to worry about I would have packed him up in the car last night and driven to see her--but it's not that simple.

DCS still has a hold on his life. They have to check and double check that everything in this situation is going to be safe. They have a process to go through. I have no idea what that process is. Someone is going to call me this afternoon to give me more information.

Right now I feel... achy. I want so badly for him to have a relationship with her. I want her to have her baby back. I want to be the bridge that connects them and brings them back together. But in my dreams everything is a fairy tale ending. In my dreams she's healthy, happy and stable. She has a job and a future and family around her to support her. I don't know what reality is. I don't know if she's using any drugs or building healthy relationships. I don't know if she's mature enough to have a healthy relationship with my family.

Above all there's this threat that finally J has somewhere to go and if I don't support him he may go there and he may not be safe. He believes he can take care of himself. Physically I think he can. Emotionally I don't think he knows how to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...