Skip to main content

Advice for my girls

So I have never written on this blog before, but I feel like I should start doing so. Girls, I don't know if you will ever read any of this, but I hope you do, so that you can see how much your mother and I love you. Mom always talks about you, so I am going to talk about her today and I hope you use the advice I am about to give you to help you know how to be a great mother and wife.

This past week, mom and I decided to start carpooling together. We realized that we work pretty close to each other and we were wasting gas by driving separately, so why not cut our gas bill in half and drive together?! It has only been 3 days, but it has been such a great 3 days so far. I am working an hour longer each day than I should be, but it has been so worth it. The reason it is, is because we get to talk to each other. I love talking to your mom. She is filled with wonderful ideas and thoughts. She is passionate, loving, kind and gracious. All these amazing attributes come out even more when we have these conversations. Besides prayer and scripture study, having a conversation with your beloved spouse is one of the best ways to get your day started.

So here is my advice to you girls: find a way to have deep and meaningful conversations with your future spouse. It will greatly bless your marriage and your family. You girls are time consuming! Before we started doing this, we would come home from work and you girls would constantly interrupt us while trying to catch up. This left me more frustrated than mom, which would ruin what was a good day for me. We wouldn't be able to actually have time to catch up until after you were in bed AND asleep (because you like to get out of bed for any reason you can possibly think of) and by that point, I just want to go to bed because I am so tired! Now when I say time consuming, you girls are more than worth it, but I just want to talk to my wife for a few minutes!

Today, we talked about another couple, who on the surface, looked like a happy couple and family, when in reality, they are having marriage problems. We talked about why we think that is and we believe part of the reason is because of communication and stubbornness. Mom and I don't have that issue and never really have and hopefully never will. I believe we both strive to be the best we can be so that you girls can have a model of what a home life and marriage should look like. I am not saying you should copy us, but I hope you can start with the foundation we have set and then improve it in your own way. Marriage will have its struggles, but if you both work constantly together, it will always be strong. So far, we have been married 10 years and it is strong because we are constantly working at it. Work sounds tough or not fun or hard, and it is at times, but I am so happy. I am always reflecting and I am so much better and happier and my marriage is better and happier than when it was 10 years ago. Its because of that work. So girls, communicate and work and things will work out! Girls, I love your mom so much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...