Skip to main content
I thought our foster care journey was different. I thought the biological family would never come back into the picture and if they did, I thought I would be happy. I would be so supportive. But then the fear sets in. I don't want him to be let down. I don't want him to be mislead. I know he can take care of himself, but I don't want him to.
I guess I got a glimpse of what other foster families experience. Even if reunification really is the best thing, it still hurts. It hurts that as hard as you try--there's always this threat that you are not enough.

Hard to believe I haven't written since the day I felt like giving up on our foster care journey. For the record I was not really going to give up--I just felt worthless. Like I was easily replaced. I talked to J about it the next day and he assured me he doesn't plan on leaving. He likes staying with us. That was nice to hear. It calmed my fears. It put me in a place where I really can be supportive--whatever that looks like. Only time will tell.

But there's still adjustment going on. The biggest issues are school and family dinners.

Family dinners are just hard to get use to and take away from time with friends. I think the school is doing the best that they know how to do but I also feel like it's not good enough. Like they need teachers who are more trauma informed. They need classes that are more hands on. I would say they need more teachers but most of J's classes have only 2-5 kids in them right now so that's not too much of an issue. They just need to be more engaged with him so he can be more engaged in his work. They need to explain why they are doing each thing they do, because he needs to hear that. They need to challenge him. He's missing that.

On the opposite side of the spectrum Kaybree loves school so much she plays school every single day when she gets home from school. We come in, she eats a snack and then she says "I gotta go teach!" and she runs upstairs to set up her classroom of teddy bears and baby dolls. She's always Ms. Hunsaker. She leads her class with patience and reminds them of the rules. She also writes notes and draws pictures for Ms. Hunsaker at least once a week. Sometimes more. She'll make a great teacher one day--but she says she doesn't want to be a teacher. She's going to be a doctor. I'm ok with either one.

Eisley started school this week. She very confidently told me she would be walking into the classroom all by herself. And she did. No looking back. She's such a fireball I cannot imagine how she behaves at school. I imagine she behaves but she NEVER stops talking!
An Eisley-ism from recently: We went to the Desert Botanical Gardens and Eisley called the cactus a Poke-tus. She's so cute. She has also started saying "You'll pay for this!" and she's picking up some stuff from Jose like "I will kill you!" and "It's not time so shut up!" Yeah, not too pleased about those... but we'll work on it!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...