Skip to main content

QTIP

If you take any training about parenting teens the biggest advice you will hear is: QUIT TAKING IT PERSONALLY!

I know because I'm pretty sure I've been to every training on parenting teens currently being offered in the Phoenix area. There are not many. What you will not learn is how to do that.

How the heck am I supposed to react when I express my feelings to a child, who is mostly an adult, and then they do exactly what you just told them you were afraid they would do?

And why is it that I'm so personally offended when my teen will not take the advice and direction I've given? I'm not personally affected when he fails his classes but MAN it pisses me off! Because I TOLD him to bring home work. I TOLD him to stop skipping class. I TOLD him to turn off his phone. I TOLD him to get some sleep and eat breakfast. I TOLD him to take his meds.

But he didn't.

I know I'm not the only parent of a teen who has dealt with this. I know this can be typical teenage behavior. So how do other parents deal? How do you watch your child fail over and over again for the stupidest reasons and not react?

I like to think I might have been able to handle the self-sabotage if it weren't combined with this weekend's blatant disrespect. But I don't know.

J didn't come home this weekend--just one weekend after I told him it feels like he's avoiding us and pulling away from us. When he came home we didn't get an apology. We got blamed. Blamed that we didn't give him space when he needed it. So he didn't feel safe. So he left and as soon as he gets a chance to leave for good, he's taking it. He wanted to have "space" after the blow up. We wanted to discuss it and say sorry and offer forgiveness.

We did what we needed to do. We apologized and moved on. He did what he needed to do. Problem is he took his space without letting us know that's what he was doing and he took it days later--which makes it seem like it was just an excuse to stay out with his friends and not take responsibility for doing that.

I'm trying to move on like he has. I'm trying not to take it personally. But being placed with the blame is not fair. And I feel manipulated. I'm not sure we can ever get back to where we were. And now I feel no different from his adoptive parents. And I really don't like them.

There's an argument for moving forward. Maybe he'll stop self destructing. Maybe he has not seen unconditional love from us yet. Maybe there's still hope.

There's also an argument for giving up. There needs to be serious consequences for his actions. Even if he were obeying our rules he's not doing anything to grow up and mature and some day live on his own and he needs to learn to do that. And it hurts to be treated like a hotel.

Everyone has sympathy. No one has answers. Parenting sucks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work stuff

 My job is difficult to describe to people outside of non-profits so I usually don't. I say I'm a Grant Writer--because I am, but to some people that means a lot and to others it means nothing. I don't get too many people who are interested. To be truthful, I do think grant writing is a spectacular professional that takes a lot of skill. Not only do you have to be an excellent writer, able to tell the stories of the organization in a way that is interesting and inspiring, but you also have to be savvy enough to find your way around hundreds of different online portals (none of which are user friendly) and be diligent enough to meet strict deadlines and compile loads and loads of paperwork. At my organization we submit about 15-30 applications every month and every single application has different requirements and expectations in order to receive funding. The work doesn't stop when an application is turned in. Once we get that funding it adds another to-do to our list, m...

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...