Skip to main content

Blow up

It’s pretty bad when even your apology ends in a fight but that’s what happened tonight. So now I’m sitting here in the dark hoping that you’ll come down stairs and give me a chance to try again to talk to you.

Dad found vape pods in your back pack tonight. A LOT of them. And since we’ve had this talk a million times he overreacted. He blew up. He told you if any of that comes into our home again you are out. Done. No more.

He was not aware that just last week you told me that has been on your mind. And now you feel like we’re holding it over your head. He feels like we are trapped because the rules we set don’t matter if there’s no punishment behind them. I feel like none of it matters because you’re only still living here for the convenience of it. You don’t want to move away from your friends but you’re not ready to move out together yet. It hurts me to feel like we’re just a roof for you.

I don’t know what I expect. It’s just hard. Because when things are good they are great! You check in regularly, you have a meal with us once a week. You play with the girls and they LOVE you. And then for no reason at all we enter seasons like this. When you’re distant. You don’t check in. You sleep through school. You say hi when you come home but only in passing as you run up to your room and lock the door. I think it only hurts because of the drastic difference and the way it makes me feel.

You closed the door in my face tonight when I said I don’t believe you’d be there for me if some emergency happened. I guess that’s not fully true but I do think it depends what kind of week it is for you. Are you in a good mood or not?

Dad says we need to be better about unconditional love. I feel like I have unconditional love for you. I still love you. What I don’t have is thick skin or emotions of steel. I miss you when you push me away. It hurts when you choose your friends over me—especially when I know those friends are helping you make poor decisions. You choose them because they help you escape reality for a little bit. I don’t want you to run from me.

Soon you’ll be moving out. I don’t want that to be the end of our relationship and sometimes I fear that it will be. But I still love you. So tonight I’m sitting in the dark and praying you’ll decide to come talk and trying not to cry when I hear your door lock again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...