Skip to main content

Still no baby

I think maybe I have too much confidence in my body and my ability to create life. I thought for sure we'd have no trouble getting pregnant--and then we had a miscarriage. Now I thought for sure Aspen would come when the doctor stripped my membranes but five days later here I am with no baby.

I like to think I could have been more patient if I hadn't been teased with contractions on Thursday and Friday night. They've stopped since. Now I'm convinced she'll come Wednesday afternoon once I can get my membranes stripped again--but what I should be convinced of is I'm not in control and need to take a chill pill.

We started the church's new Come Follow Me curriculum yesterday and Brendon and I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that the first lesson is all about God's timing and waiting for blessings. It was Matthew 1 and Luke 1. The stories of Elizabeth and Mary. The basic lesson is "You're not in control but with God, anything is possible."

It's been hard this weekend to not be depressed. I really was expecting Aspen to come and I've been looking forward to holding her for so long. And it seemed like labor was so close! Mostly I just want to know that she's OK. I want to know she's perfectly healthy and happy. I want to know for sure she's as perfect as Kaybree and Eisley. Of course I also want to get the tough work of labor out of the way and I want to be able to plan for where Kaybree and Eisley will be during the delivery. I want Jose to see the baby is not so creepy. I want Brendon to be able to plan for when he's working and when he's not. I want to stop working and take some time off.

I keep walking around in the middle of the night and talking with Aspen. Telling her how beautiful our house is and how great her sisters are and how she needs to hurry up and get here so she can see it all. Who wouldn't want to hurry up and be born when they can be born into a family like this one?

But for now I'll try to be more patient. She needs more time. I've got a comfy body. OK. I can do this. But seriously, if she's 9 pounds when she's born I'm gonna be annoyed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...