Skip to main content

It's not okay

J warned us weeks ago Easter would not be a happy time. My natural reaction was "It's going to be the best ever if I have anything to say about it!" I started taking special notes of candy he likes. I found a store where I could buy Mexican candy for dirt cheap and filled an Easter basket with all his favorites. All the while I knew, it might not work.

Friday with my family went well. Saturday he actually traveled with me for work and we enjoyed playing cards all day and occasionally sharing info about foster care with people who passed by our table.

Sunday things were also going well for most of the day. He said church wasn't bad. He liked his candy. He loved dinner. Afterwards we did another Easter egg hunt. I snapped a picture of him. He asked me to stop, and I did. After the Easter egg hunt while all the other kids opened their eggs and explored their treasures he left the crowd and laid in the grass.

He told Brendon he was mad at me for taking the picture. He asked for space. Several minutes later I walked into the backyard and caught him quickly wiping at his eyes--but he allowed me to sit with him and put my arm around him. I sat and cried with him until Kaybree decided she wanted my attention and refused to leave us alone and he decided he was done talking.

I cried with J because everything he was feeling and everything he told me during that conversation made perfect sense. It was sad, it was awful and there was nothing I could do to make it better. No matter how hard I tried to make the holiday the best it could be, it was still another day away from his family. Still another day full of bad memories that he had to somehow ignore. Still another day when his body, and his trauma triggers were in full swing.

He told me he's worried about the next holiday and the next and the next. None are good for him and he doesn't know how his emotions might come out on those days. He told me he doesn't know himself or what he'll become. I hope he heard me when I told him it's up to him to choose.

And I cried. I still cry just thinking about it. Because I care. Because he is a GOOD kid. A really good kid. And he has no idea. He thinks he's flawed. He thinks there's something wrong with him. He thinks he's unwanted. And as hard as I try, for now, there's nothing I can do to make that go away.

He told me the other day that we still don't know much about him. He wants to tell me all about his past, but he can't just yet. I want to know it all but I know I can't rush him. For now, that's ok.


The girls are doing great! They love their brother--even if they beat him up all the time. That's the only way they know how to play with someone so much older than them who refuses to be the kid ("Honey") in their pretend games. I don't want anyone to think Easter was a complete bust. The emotional part last less than an hour and we were all back to doing fun things. It was just a reminder that J's life has been tough and even the best love is not enough. But it was also a reminder of how blessed we are to be in the position we are in now. I love our family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...