Skip to main content

The unknown

"Do you see that?" Dr. Holmes pointed to a tiny white spot on the ultrasound screen. If he moved the machine just so you could see that tiny spot flicker. It was a miracle.

A miracle because just a moment earlier we had been talking about my options for miscarriage. Let it happen naturally, or get what's called a D and C. And then Dr. Holmes changed his mind.

I started spotting the night before Valentine's Day. So as you can imagine, our Valentines was full of magic this year. If you enjoy continuously calling the doctor and crying uncontrollably, that is. He couldn't get me in but sent me to get my blood drawn. I was told two days later they'd check the blood again and see if it had changed the way it was supposed to.

It didn't. I got the call from Dr. Holmes on Saturday. My level should have reached 12,000 but it was only at 8500. Not a crystal clear miscarriage--but it was likely. So we went in for an ultrasound.

The traditional ultrasound on the stomach found no heart beat. We were 95% sure it was a miscarriage. Just to be sure, we did a vaginal ultrasound.

The baby should be 7 weeks. It's only measuring 6. The results seemed pretty clear. And then that little heart beat.

He also noticed the yolk sac looked slightly large. This can be a sign of chromosome issues. He didn't elaborate.

After almost a week of questions we left feeling like we had no more answers. He told me to call the office Tuesday and they'd try to squeeze me in on Wednesday for another ultrasound.

I cried a lot this week. I was certain it was a miscarriage. It still could be.

Brendon gave me a blessing Tuesday night but it was stilted and weird. He told me afterward that every time he tried to bless the baby he was not permitted. That scares me most.

Among all the heart brake there is some gratitude. My girls, when they saw how scared I am, have done all they can to raise my spirits. Brendon has proven once again what a miracle of a man he is. He is dedicated to supporting me in any way he can.

No matter what happens, I am blessed. But I am scared of the unknown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...