Skip to main content

Hope #1

I got an email from our licensing agency letting me know they've been going through their applicants and may have a child who they think is a good match for us. They don't have many details about his past at this point. (They gave me some hints but that's his story to tell.)

He's a 15-year-old Hispanic boy. He's on some medication. He's been living in a group home for just over a year. He has some siblings who have been adopted. It doesn't sound like he has lived with a family for a long time.

The email actually had a lot of information but it still left a LOT of questions. I think I'll always have a million questions in these situations.

I read it about a hundred times in a row. My mind is blank. I find myself piling up all the reasons it won't work. I find myself feeling guilty for that. I find my heart hurting for the life this boy has lived before. I feel hopeful about the life we could offer him.

I sent it to Brendon. We haven't had a chance to talk in depth about it yet, we just shot some texts back and forth. I asked how he felt and he said "Ready to meet him."

I have a feeling Brendon is going to be my rock throughout this. I don't know when he became so confident about his feelings and about his desire to help these kids but I admire it. I love it.

I told the agency we'd like to know more and set up a meeting. Unfortunately with Brendon's new job he has a few weeks of training that he has to accomplish before his schedule will have some flexibility again. And I'm also scrambling now to find after school programs that will work since it looks like Brendon will be working out in Glendale and won't be home till 7 on a good night and the earliest I can be home is 5.

We'll figure it out. That's what you do for your kids. You figure it out. And this boy could be our kid.

I told Katie some of the details and that it will still be a few weeks till we get more information. She said "At least you'll have a few weeks to decide." I'm not sure what there is to decide. How could we say no?

I talked to my boss, Nancy, about the kids we met last weekend and I expressed my grief of not taking them home--having to say no. She said "You can't un-know. And then you have to come to terms with what you do know and what are you going to do about it?"

I can't un-know. I know this boy wants a family. I know I can provide that. There is nothing to decide. We just have hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...