Skip to main content

Structure



“Shouldn’t they be going home?” she asked as a loud noise thumped through the house from J’s bedroom.Three teenagers were wrestling. Loudly.
I shrugged. “Why? It’s not their bedtime.”
“Because it’s good for kids to have structure and it’s a school night.”

The conversation wasn’t mean. It was said in a joking tone but boy was it laced with judgement. And it got to me. It was 8 p.m. on a Wednesday and yes, my home was full of very rowdy, very loud teenage boys. But they were having fun and I knew exactly where they were and what they were doing and they weren’t hurting anyone. Seemed good enough for me!

I’m feeling and hearing it often lately. I need to apply more “structure” to J’s life. I just think my idea of structure is different. I feel like what they really mean is “expectations.” Because J has structure. He has two parents. He has a home and food. He wakes up, he goes to school, he comes home or he hangs out with his friends. Either way he knows he has to let me know by 5 p.m. where he is at. He knows our schedule for the most part and he knows every Sunday evening he’s going to family dinner whether he likes it or not. He knows at home there is no swearing, no rated ‘R’ movies or shows, and no girls when there are not adults present. 

To me, all of those things are structure. Since his grades have not been good we’ve also applied a homework rule. He was coming home at 8 p.m. to do homework, when the girls were in bed and I could be available. Now we’ve asked him to come straight home from school and get to work. He agrees. He knows who is in charge and he respects the rules we set up. Seems like structure to me.
No, I don’t ground him. In fact, I let him have as much time with friends as is reasonable. To some, that looks like a non-stop party. To me, it looks like building a relationship, not just with J but also with his friends. When they are in my home I know exactly what they are up to and it’s not sex or drugs. I want them all to know they can feel comfortable in my home. They can talk to me. Maybe, just maybe, some of my version of normal and happy will rub off on them. Maybe if I accept J’s friends he’ll feel like I accept him too. 


What I don’t do is set high expectations. I don’t expect him to keep his room spotless always or have straight A’s or be home when the sun goes down and quietly in bed by 9 p.m. I don’t expect him to go to every family function for a family he’s still adjusting to (especially when I myself have complained about a function or two…) or instantly insert himself into the family either with hugs and kisses and everything else.



I could be more of a stickler about keeping the house clean and doing more school work, yes. I’m working on it. I’m learning to define exactly what my expectations are and discussing those with J so we can come to an agreement. We’ve gotten very good at making deals with one another. But I like that when I ask with respect, he responds with respect. And he also talks to me. About everything. And he’s always home by curfew. And he likes me.

I have enough knowledge of the effects of trauma to be dangerous. By that I mean, it makes me soft. I get nervous to upset or annoy because my sole focus is building attachment and never pushing away. I’m searching for the good and choosing to roll my eyes at the rest. I believe the absolute best thing I can do for J is be there for him as an example, as a mentor and as a confidant. He has to find his own motivation to succeed. I can’t give that to him. No amount of yelling or disciplining will help that.
I know to the outside world I may appear too lax but when I think about my relationship with J I feel like I’m on the right track. It may not have a lot of structure right now but there’s a lot of track left to build.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...