Skip to main content

Merry Christmas to all!

I set very low expectations for Christmas this year. We've been warned it would be rough. J warned us it would be rough. For all of December he has blamed any grumpiness on it being too close to Christmas.

He doesn't give any detail why Christmas is so rough. I assume it's the same reason why Easter is rough. It's remembering times with younger siblings and missing seeing them grow up. He couldn't recall any positive Christmas memories or even any celebration at all in 2016.

I put a lot of thought into what to get him. The best gift was a skateboard. A real one. When he saw it his reaction was "Is it from Walmart?" I was so excited to tell him "Nope!" It came from a real skate shop. Just like all his friends. Suddenly Christmas wasn't so bad.

J put up with being in matching Christmas jammies at the Vance's house all morning and even stood in for pictures. He enjoyed wrestling with David and he got more clothes which he put on to wear for the rest of the day. By the end of the day he admitted (unprompted) "Today was alright." which is as close to a "Merry Christmas and thanks!" as we're going to get.

J wasn't the only one who had an alright day, though. The girls got new (to them) bikes and have been doing great learning to ride. The first time we got Kaybree a bike she was terrible at riding but suddenly she is a pro. Might even need to take the training wheels off soon. Eisley is way more excited to ride than Kaybree ever was. She's always asking to go outside.

Brendon found a last minute deal on a new nintendo--the one that looks like a mini version of the old super nintendo and has all the games on it. He and J have been playing non-stop all weekend. It's refreshing to see them having fun together. Brendon also got me diamond earrings that I love and a iLife vacuum which is awesome!

It's been so nice having Brendon home. He gets to work only one job (Jamba) during the winter break so he comes home and doesn't have to plan a lesson and can finally spend time with the kids. They love it! He'll go back to student teaching in January for another semester.




Over all we had an excellent Christmas. Maybe one of the best. We made it out with no tears and lots of laughter, great gifts and great food. It makes me excited for all the Christmases yet to come with this sweet family of mine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...