Skip to main content

Catching up

 It's been more than a year since I've written on this blog and that is a very sad thing. I think I'll have to do multiple posts to avoid skipping over anything.


We just hit a year in our new home. Our home is so beautiful. Our neighborhood is quiet. And somehow, we've had multiple miracles that have helped us afford this home.

When we were moving I was terrified. I kept running the numbers and I was absoutely positive we would be in big, big trouble. I started going to the temple as often as I could. I needed that peace in my life. I needed the blessing the temple gives: Clarity, peace, strength.

Out of the blue we had people approaching us, asking us about new potential business opportunities. We met several people who would be in the new ward and they told us over and over again how great of a ward it is. We had all these small moments, convincing us that we were going to be OK. 

So we moved and we were OK. None of those business opportunities panned out, but Brendon received two significant raises in a row and somehow, month after month, it has all worked out. Twice now we've had random checks arrive in the mail--for various reasons that we never expected. 

We built a pool in our backyard and we've slowly been adding paint and decor to the walls.

Brendon felt connected to the ward right away and Kaybree made friends pretty quickly, but I've been struggling to feel connected. This summer, I was called to be Camp Director for Girls Camp.

I've always loved girls camp. I love the friendship, the no-judgement atmosphere and the chance to be a girl. I was excited to plan it, but also really nervous about having the right support. I know the Young Women's president pretty well, and love her, but I didn't know the other leaders. I didn't know any of the girls and our YCLs were so busy they were pretty much MIA for any planning meetings.

But I planned the best I could--going off what I thought would be fun, which was mostly a bunch of crafts! 

A family in our ward owns a camp just outside of Globe and they offered it to us to use for free and let me tell you, it was magical.

I was the first to arrive, with my car full of stuff. All the buildings were locked and there was zero cell service. Luckily, our camp cook arrived and after about 40 minutes, the owner of the camp got there to help unlock and unpack. 

From the moment the girls arrived, I never felt like anyone was bored or in a bad mood or didn't like me. It was like a party right away. The girls unpacked, we did some crafts, we ate food, and we just had fun! Every night was like a sleepover. No one went to bed before midnight, even though all the day's activities ended by 9 p.m. They stayed up talking, playing cards games, making bracelets and painting. The entire time I felt like I could jump into any conversation, join any group, and that was perfectly acceptable. 

I watched all the girls cheer each other on! They swam, they fished, we all got lost on a hike. It was great! 

For the first time I felt really connected with the ward. I felt like one of them. It felt like a miracle. 

To be honest, there have been a million miracles this past year with this move. A year ago, it felt like such a big deal. Now, it feels like home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work stuff

 My job is difficult to describe to people outside of non-profits so I usually don't. I say I'm a Grant Writer--because I am, but to some people that means a lot and to others it means nothing. I don't get too many people who are interested. To be truthful, I do think grant writing is a spectacular professional that takes a lot of skill. Not only do you have to be an excellent writer, able to tell the stories of the organization in a way that is interesting and inspiring, but you also have to be savvy enough to find your way around hundreds of different online portals (none of which are user friendly) and be diligent enough to meet strict deadlines and compile loads and loads of paperwork. At my organization we submit about 15-30 applications every month and every single application has different requirements and expectations in order to receive funding. The work doesn't stop when an application is turned in. Once we get that funding it adds another to-do to our list, m...

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...