Skip to main content

Christmas gift for Barb

I didn’t keep a copy of my Christmas gift to Barb but we had a book printed. Here is the rough cut.

What Aspen Knows


Grandma Vance was a busy matriarch of a large family. She was always busy taking care of someone and to each person in her family she played a unique role.

To some she was a confidant. To some she was a companion for sports games. To some she was a shopping partner. To many she was a baker and a maker of the most delicious foods.

Some of her grandchildren saw her as the one person they were most afraid to disappoint. Some saw her as the one who always corrected their grammar. Some saw her as the enforcer of the family’s rules.


But Aspen, the little one, saw her in a completely unique way.


For Aspen, Grandma Vance was magic. 


She was magic because she was stable. 

Aspen knew every day, Monday through Friday, she would get to see Grandma Vance. She knew what Grandma Vance would be eating for breakfast (and that she might even share with her!)

She knew Grandma would have all her favorite snacks and would stock up on her favorite yogurt every time it went on sale.

She knew she would get two snacks and a delicious lunch full of all her favorite things.

She knew she could watch Sesame Street and Pinkalicious at Grandma’s house.


She was magic because she always taught her something new.

She taught her how to recognize the letters of the alphabet.

She taught her all the best songs.

She taught her how to properly pronounce the words that other children struggled with.

She taught her how delicious zucchini bread could be.


She was magic because she let Aspen be curious.

No tool was off limits at Grandma’s house. 

She could scoot around on the cart in the garage.

She could go fishing with the magnets.

She could play in the bathtub, with or without water.

She could carry around pieces of a game all day long.

She could decorate the entire room with all of Grandma’s bracelets. 

Everything was a toy and that was perfectly OK with Grandma.


Grandma was magic because she believed Aspen was magic.

When Aspen spelled a word, Grandma cheered. 

When Aspen rode her bike, Grandma cheered.

When strangers told Aspen how beautiful she was, Grandma was the first to say “I know!” 

When those who know Grandma asked if she ever grew tired of Aspen, Grandma always said “Never!”


Yes, Grandma Vance was a lot of things to a lot of people but to one little girl, for a few precious years, she was everything.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_QIITocOUzfOuHRKM6XNU-dF7pt0Y51jhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1UqeeAlAFdy0VKFE3hqa69C4VHDb3uN7jhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=185Mn9xpVp0ZE1LG-Ww-HhOLGHSDMKL5ehttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1rCPxGQZ5QmG1-BJaTArl-c3K7WkKYcpQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...