Skip to main content

Mom from afar

 J dropped out of high school and took a travelling construction job. 

He was miserable living in the home he was at and struggling to get by working at KFC. He never wanted to live away from AZ but told me now he had to survive. 

He goes to the job site and lives out of a motel for weeks at a time, working 50 hours or more per week, and then returns to Arizona for a few days. During those days he lives with his friend Hunter, who he has always considered his family. When I learned he had moved in with them I was hurt. I knew he wanted to live with them years ago and they just weren't in a position to say yes. I'm glad they finally did say yes because it's the place he feels most comfortable and I want that for him.

On Mother's Day the only message I got from J was asking if he got any mail. When I delivered it the response was "Thanks." and the door shut in my face. No Happy Mother's Day. No real acknowledgment at all.  

I tried to convince myself I couldn't take it personally but I also felt like that was the end of him even considering me one of his many mothers. 

I'm not sure what happened this month but J did text Brendon for Father's Day and on Tuesday he called me from California. He called to tell me he was making good money and he wanted my help to save some of it for a car or a place of his own. This level of trust is a big deal. For the past year he has held tight to a lot of information. He didn't want anyone to know where he was living or how much money he was making. Even the people he was living with didn't have that information--because he didn't want them asking for more money for rent. 

He also called to vent about his job. He loves it, loves the consistent work, but of course he's not a fan of some of the people he works with.

His job position is a mucker. He helps set up space for concrete to be poured and when it is poured he steps into it to make sure there are no bubbles and that it all is spread level. 

At night he smokes, sometimes drinks, and hangs out with the other guys watching TV and playing video games.  

We talked for a half hour. He was well spoken. Sometimes when he's struggling his language struggles too but he sounded good. 

I remember when he first moved into our house and he would sometimes call his old group home manager just to chat--because he considered him a father figure. I always wondered if I would ever get to that level with him... and then he called.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...