Skip to main content

Our first born

I think there's general confusion over how to mourn the loss of a dog. Everyone knows dogs don't live forever so it seems every dog lover loses at least one in their lifetime. Dogs are family members. How do you honor their memory but also move forward?

We had a great trip to Disneyland this week. While we were there J let us know Bently was acting strange back home. He couldn't get him to get up and it was starting to rain. Bently just wanted to stay in the rain. Eventually, with David's help, he got him inside. J left that night and we returned the next day to find Bently unresponsive on the ground, covered in blood and poop and pee. He was breathing and would open his eyes but he didn't lift his head to greet us.

Brendon started sobbing instantly and as soon as I came inside I knew it was the end for Bently. At first I tried to get the girls to stay outside but then I thought they should be allowed to say goodbye. I let them in and we all cried together while I called Brittany to come get the girls so Brendon and I could get to the pet hospital.

We got Bently to walk just enough to hose him off and put him in the van. At the pet hospital they loaded him onto a gurney and wheeled him inside. I give credit to the staff at the pet hospital. They were prepared to meet us at the door and usher us into a back room. The room was comfortable and light. They gave us time to say goodbye privately to Bently and gave us options for cremation. We selected to have a clay paw print made and asked for his collar back too. We were present when they administered the medication and Bently went quickly and painlessly.

Now we are stuck in a weird space. We've always been dog people. We've always had a dog. For years Bently was our only child. We planned vacations around where we could take him. We went to the dog park every Saturday with him as a puppy. We entered him into neighborhood dog shows (and he won!) He was the best dog. He didn't like to eat in public but he loved to be pet. He never even snapped or growled at kids. He had a very clown-like attitude. He was completely carefree. He was a big talker--not barker. If we tried to kick him off the bed or get him to move out of a comfy spot, we heard his complaints. It wasn't a growl, it was a grumble and a moan. His face was so expressive.

When you have a dog you bond so closely with--how do you move forward from that? We don't want to replace Bently. We don't want to forget him. At the same time, we are dog people. We want to be dog people. We want our kids to be dog people. We feel like there's this hole in our lives and yet we don't want to try to replace it right away with a puppy.

















































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work stuff

 My job is difficult to describe to people outside of non-profits so I usually don't. I say I'm a Grant Writer--because I am, but to some people that means a lot and to others it means nothing. I don't get too many people who are interested. To be truthful, I do think grant writing is a spectacular professional that takes a lot of skill. Not only do you have to be an excellent writer, able to tell the stories of the organization in a way that is interesting and inspiring, but you also have to be savvy enough to find your way around hundreds of different online portals (none of which are user friendly) and be diligent enough to meet strict deadlines and compile loads and loads of paperwork. At my organization we submit about 15-30 applications every month and every single application has different requirements and expectations in order to receive funding. The work doesn't stop when an application is turned in. Once we get that funding it adds another to-do to our list, m...

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...