Skip to main content

Information

Three years ago when I got a new job at CASA of Arizona and made the announcement that I was leaving the Ahwatukee Foothills News after six years of writing, my editor made a quick decision to hire our intern to take over my position. He was a smart kid and seemed like he could have potential as a writer. I was looking forward to leaving the paper but I was excited to have one week to work side-by-side with my replacement and impart all the knowledge I had gained about the community.

I thought it was such a blessing, for the paper and the community as a whole, that no information would be lost. I could warn him which sources were difficult to work with and which ones were more open than you might think. I was excited to pass along all my contacts and explain their significance to the community.

As we started working together I got excited every time he asked a question about a certain story. I'd get ready to launch into the story, from the beginning, and drop names hat might be of value to him. But, each time I started he would stop me and say "OK, what's happening today?"

I was frustrated. This kid didn't understand! I had so much knowledge to pass on to him. I had so much experience I could tell him about. His stories would be so much more indepth with my input.

I realize now, looking back, that he probably wanted to try to remain unbiased and bring in an outsiders perspective. He probably was overwhelmed by the big picture and wanted to report what was happening in the moment--the way most readers probably saw it. He wanted to learn for himself.

I'm sitting here doing the same for a new job and it has occurred to me the basic lesson still applies. No matter how good my intentions, I cannot force someone to accept all my knowledge. My experience may be valuable, I may have learned a lot of great lessons, but I can't pass everything I've learned on to my replacement. They must learn for themselves. If they don't, who knows what they may miss?

It's the same with life. I have a lot of life experience I would love to pass on to someone, but it doesn't work that way. Everyone has to learn in their own way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...