Skip to main content

Kaybree the considerate

Yesterday Eisley started coughing and had a fever. It was obvious she was not feeling well. All night she whimpered in her sleep and slept with me for comfort. This morning I decided to let the girls sleep a little later so I could catch up on a little sleep too. Kaybree eventually woke up on her own and got dressed. When Eisley and I finally got up I left her watching TV in my room while I went to take a shower.

I heard Kaybree come into the room and ask Eisley how she was feeling. When I came out of the bathroom my bed was empty but as I came down the stairs Eisley was tucked into some blankets on the couch, remote in hand, with Kaybree's pillow behind her head. Kaybree had taken her downstairs and got her settled in her favorite spot in front of the TV, with all the comfy blankets and pillows she could ask for.

Kaybree, you are the sweetest little girl. Last night you had your first performance with Millenial Choirs and Orchestra. You were very brave going on stage and didn't cry at all! But it probably helped that I was right back stage waiting for you and spent the entire night volunteering to watch you and the other kids.

You were so committed to following all the directions given. It was frustrating for you that none of the other kids felt the same way. They kept bumping into you in line and not following the rules. But not my little girl!

Watching all the kids made me so proud of the little girl you are. Parents were instructed to send a backpack of things to do and some snacks for kids to enjoy back stage while they waited for their turn to sing. Some kids walked in with backpacks stuffed to the brim with toys, fancy markers and crayons and blankets. I packed you two books, a notebook, a pen and three different snacks. It kept you happy all night.

You are such a happy, loving little girl. I just love watching you grow. You have your moments of crazy and plenty of moments of whiny but at your core you're brave, smart, independent and so, so caring. I can't wait to see you become a big sister all over again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...