Skip to main content

Safe

You thought the question was stupid. It was hidden among 50 questions in a survey meant to determine which life skills you could use help developing. "Do you know how to clean a bathroom?" "Do you know how to fill out a job application?" "Do you ever get picked on at school or online?"

"Do you have a place where you can go to feel safe?"

"I've never not felt safe. So what does that mean?"

While this may seem like tough-guy language, to me, it's a problem. Because safety is more than "I'm tough/strong/brave/capable enough to protect myself in any situation." Safety is comfort. It's a place free from worries.

If you had never felt unsafe you wouldn't have PTSD flashbacks when you hear loud noises that are so bad you can't see and can hardly talk. If you had never felt unsafe you wouldn't worry so much about being on time that you forget to fall asleep or arrive hours early. If you had never felt unsafe you wouldn't be struggling in school while teachers are constantly trying to adjust to meet your needs. If you had never felt unsafe your stomach wouldn't hurt so bad and your body wouldn't have so much trouble with all the foods you say you can't eat. If you had never felt unsafe you wouldn't be so quick to defend yourself.

You don't believe me. So I won't say anything.

I'll just continue to give safety. Hopefully you get use to not worrying about whether or not there's food to eat. Hopefully you know you can tell me anything. Hopefully you know even when I get mad that we can both take a second and calm down and come back to talking. Hopefully you know our family is here--always. Hopefully you know I love you. Hopefully you know that even though you don't need protection--I'm going to give it to you. Because this is safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...