Skip to main content

We're not those people

We're hearing it more and more lately: "Thank goodness for people like you!" "I so admire you." "You guys are so amazing."

Brendon was told that just yesterday and he finally answered very bluntly, "No--We're not."

I've read it on several blogs and articles titled "What not to say to foster parents." but it's still a cliche that continues. Anyone we talk to about us becoming foster parents seems to end the conversation with "Well, you guys are so giving." or something along those lines. Thing is, we're not.

We both have empathy. We do what we can. If someone asks for something or mentions a need, we try to fill it. But do I consider us to be these great, giving, selfless people? No, we're not.

We avoid babysitting other people's kids. We often skip our turn cleaning the church. We don't donate to any causes or make any calls to the legislature for any reason. I'm not a part of the parent group at my kid's school. If I see someone struggling to change a tire on the side of the road, I keep driving. If I'm walking somewhere and see some trash, I leave it. If I see a dog roaming the neighborhood I make very minimal efforts to capture it. I never sign up to volunteer at charity runs or events like that. Lots of times I hear about a need and think "I can help with that!" and then I forget and forget and forget until it's not an issue anymore.

I didn't become a foster parent because I'm so giving and selfless and wonderful and this was the next big wonderful thing I could do to make the world a better place. I did it because this whole child welfare system is not fair. It's not fair that I've had loving and supportive parents and J has none.  Humility and charity are not driving me.

This whole process has just felt natural. We've been nervous and excited--but it just feels good. We just feel ready. As crazy as this thing is that we are doing--it doesn't feel crazy. It doesn't feel miraculous. It doesn't feel like we're super heroes.

I asked J yesterday why he wanted to be in a family. He told me family is something he's never had before. He's lived in group homes his whole life and he's tired of it. He really wants to know what a family is like. Doesn't take a super hero to take action when a kid tells you that.

He's moving in full time next weekend. So far we've only had him on the weekends so having him with us day in and day out and getting him to and from school will present all new challenges for us. But we're ready!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...