Skip to main content

Do what you can

I'm feeling depressed tonight and when I feel that way it's time to write. Today Brendon and I volunteered with Foster Arizona. We acted as guides to 10 kids in foster care as they explored Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium.

We were randomly assigned to a group of kids. They were a group of older boys and then two teenage girls from a separate group home. There was also one adorable six year old boy. The main group of boys live in a group home for "at risk" and LGBT youth. That means they are kids with "behaviors" that no family has been comfortable with.

We had a great day with the boys. They listened well, were patient when they needed to be and they all seemed to be enjoying each thing they experienced at the zoo. They were eager to be there and they enjoyed being together.

And they were like that all day, yet, I'm feeling depressed tonight. Because I met a great group of kids and I still know they are highly likely to turn 18 without having found a permanent family.

One boy in particular, who identifies as a girl, went on a ride with Brendon and when he mentioned we had just gotten licensed she didn't hesitate to ask if we would take her. By the end of our time together she had told all the group home staff that she wanted to go live with us. Imagine that. This is a 15 year old who has spent time in juvie, who was removed from her home for who knows what reason and (we found out through her conversation with Brendon) has a good working knowledge of pornography. She had just met us and yet was excited to come and live with us.

She told me she hates living in a group home with so many other kids.

We cannot take that girl home. All the group home staff warned us that she has extreme behaviors. (Which was really sad to hear from them too.) I cannot risk exposing my girls to those behaviors. I hate admitting that. But if I did not have kids right now I would take her home in a heartbeat. Because I know she is exactly the kind of kid that is going to age out of the system. She is not going to get a family. And that's not fair.

I left with the profound impression that every child in that group was likely to age out of the system. Some were on the autism spectrum. One was 17 already. Then there was that girl. They all want a family. They are eager for a family. For some stabilty.

When we shared these thoughts with Katie and Robert, Robert did his best to comfort us by saying you just have to remember you do what you can, where you can. It was a good day of service. The kids had fun. I have to take comfort in that. But I may always be haunted by those kids we can't help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work stuff

 My job is difficult to describe to people outside of non-profits so I usually don't. I say I'm a Grant Writer--because I am, but to some people that means a lot and to others it means nothing. I don't get too many people who are interested. To be truthful, I do think grant writing is a spectacular professional that takes a lot of skill. Not only do you have to be an excellent writer, able to tell the stories of the organization in a way that is interesting and inspiring, but you also have to be savvy enough to find your way around hundreds of different online portals (none of which are user friendly) and be diligent enough to meet strict deadlines and compile loads and loads of paperwork. At my organization we submit about 15-30 applications every month and every single application has different requirements and expectations in order to receive funding. The work doesn't stop when an application is turned in. Once we get that funding it adds another to-do to our list, m...

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...