Skip to main content

I love your dad!

Girlies, I love your Dad. I want you to know that. He is awesome.

Today as I was walking into work I thought about a trip we took a few years ago to Prescott. It was the first time we had left you alone (and if I remember correctly it was just Kaybree at the time). While we were there we walked to a book store by the square, picked out a thriller, and then read it together, silently, for the whole day. It was really romantic and cute--even though the book was kind of scary.

This time of year I always think back to when we were dating. Our first date we went to DI, bought each other outfits, rode a double bike to the park and then went back to his house to play sidewalk Pictionary. It was a double date. We won the game. We have photos to prove it.

A few weeks later for my birthday we went to Schnept Farms in Queen Creek and your dad gave me a Suns jersey, tickets to the season opener (my first Suns game ever) and a photo he had photoshopped of the two of us in Hawaii together--because that's where I would be over my birthday that year. That photo is on our kitchen counter right now and still makes me smile. How creative and cute he was. And that night was so fun. I just love being outdoors and doing simple things--like riding kid rides and eating bad chilli.

More recently your dad has been buying me flowers--just randomly. I love that.

I also love the way he demands a clean house. Sometimes it annoys me, when I just want to relax and he's complaining things are a mess, but really, I love it. I love having a clean house and I need that extra encouragement to do it sometimes. And by "encouragement" I mean I do it to get him to relax with me. He doesn't actually force me to do anything.

He's a righteous priesthood holder. He takes that responsibility very seriously and he takes time to minister to his loved ones. He patiently listens and calmly explains his side of things and why things are the way they are. He does it with you but he also does it with me and with other family members when issues come up. He's also not afraid to say sorry to me when he's wrong.

He's going along with my crazy foster care idea. I love that. It's not always easy to get him to open up to an idea and this one is huge, but I'm proud that he's accepting it with me. He even agreed to volunteer at a foster care day at the zoo, taking a group of group-home kids around at the zoo. I'm excited for that.

I think I'm writing this right now because this time of year makes me fall in love all over again. The weather is perfect. The fall festivals have begun! My birthday is coming up! It's when my whole romance with your dad began. It's a beautiful thing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...