Skip to main content

New job

In the middle of February I quit my job. Knowing we had a huge event coming up, I gave them 4 weeks notice. Four weeks was far too long. Jodi spent the whole time avoiding me. Justin spent the whole time trying to convince me to stay. I spent the whole time worrying my new job was too good to be true.

Justin picked up on that and told me I should talk to Jodi, tell her how much I appreciated my time there, and see if the door might be open for me to return. He asked if I had a backup plan.

The conversation bugged me. I know he’s asking because he cares and he enjoyed working with me and because he would welcome me back. 

Now I’m a month into my new job and I feel like I can really say— I don’t need a backup plan. I should have left a long time ago.

I loved my last job. The responsibilities were always growing, challenging me to learn new skills and justify my work. The organization was changing lives, taking on new programs that make a difference for kids and teens in the foster care system. My coworkers were hard workers who I enjoyed being around. 

The only problem was my supervisor. She was a micromanager who could hardly keep herself from doing my job for me. Any time I tried to take initiative I was accused of trying too hard or not communicating enough. It beat me down. I felt like I was bad at my job. I couldn’t do anything right. 

I want t be clear that no one ever told me I was bad at my job. I was never in danger of being fired—but I felt that way constantly. 

At my new job I’m being trusted to work where ever I need to go get the job done. I’m being told my work looks great—no corrections needed. I don’t have to CC anyone when I send an email. I’m also doing what I love all the time. I’m not being asked to learn completely new systems or skills just because. 

So what am I learning from this experience?
1. My best backup plan is working hard and building on skills I have.
2. I am competent.
3. You are worth more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...