Skip to main content

My body is a temple

I have to teach a lesson to all the young women on Wednesday about modesty. I’ve already written about why that’s a tough topic for me. I don’t want anyone to be ashamed of what they are wearing or judge anyone for wearing something else. Brendon and I had a long conversation about how to teach this concept and the possible pitfalls. Modesty really should have nothing to do with men. The actual definition of modesty is decency. It’s a church cultural thing that ties it so closely to the way we dress. But being modest really means being a decent human being and our clothing should reflect that. We should wear clothes that make us and those around us comfortable.

As I fretted over how to teach this we sat down for lunch and asked Kaybree what she had learned at church today. She said she learned her body is a temple. When we asked what that means at first she said to avoid drugs and things that would cause harm to our bodies.

I asked “what about what we put on the outside of our bodies?” And she very confidently said we should wear clothes that cover our bodies because our bodies are special and should be respected—which is why we don’t wear swim suits that show too much skin.

Eisley chimes in that Someone else wears swimsuits that show a lot of skin.

Kaybree responded quickly that even if other people wear clothes that show a lot of their skin we should love them anyways.

Brendon and I sat back and smiled. You girls proved this lesson is not so difficult after all. We dress the way we do to show love and deep respect for the bodies we have been given but we don’t need to judge anyone else for choosing differently. That is it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...