Skip to main content

Power of the priesthood (And back to school!)

Kaybree came to me at 12:42 a.m. to let me know she was going to heat up the heating pad for an aching foot and that she had not fallen asleep yet. I had been asleep for hours and the house had been silent. I know she was trying to sleep.

I slipped out of bed and snuggled up next to her, hoping the comfort of having me nearby would be enough to lull her to sleep. I stayed there for almost an hour, tickled her back, and snuggled up close. Still she was awake and frustrated and worried that she would be exhausted for school the next day.

I gave her melatonin and let her come into bed with me. Still, she couldn't fall asleep. Her head started hurting. I gave her ibuprofen. Another hour passed. She started to cry because of the pain in her head.

Finally, like a breath of fresh air, Brendon rolled over and said "What's wrong, sweetheart?" He took that precious baby girl in his arms and gave her a very short and simple priesthood blessing that her head would feel better and she would be able to sleep. She was out cold just minutes later.

I tried every way I could think of to help Kaybree but it's times like that when I am so grateful to be married to Brendon. I could not do parenting without him. I'm so grateful he holds the priesthood and that he is there when we need him.

Kaybree was fine in the morning. I tried to let her sleep a little longer but she was in a good mood when she woke up and we got off to school with no issues.

Today was the third day of school. All summer Eisley has been nervous about going to school. She was scared. She would cry whenever someone asked her if she was excited. The day of both girls got ready quickly and happily posed for photos. We got to school early and found their lines. Kaybree held Eisley's hand all the way into the gate.

Once I showed Eisley where to stand with her class she nodded confidently and stood bravely. Once we got Kaybree in her line, she cried, with daddy crying right beside her. I think Kaybree was crying more because she was leaving us and summer vacation was over. She said she stopped as soon as a friend started talking to her. Eisley didn't shed any tears.

At the end of the day both girls reported it was GREAT! Eisley said she wants to go back every day--which is good because you will!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work stuff

 My job is difficult to describe to people outside of non-profits so I usually don't. I say I'm a Grant Writer--because I am, but to some people that means a lot and to others it means nothing. I don't get too many people who are interested. To be truthful, I do think grant writing is a spectacular professional that takes a lot of skill. Not only do you have to be an excellent writer, able to tell the stories of the organization in a way that is interesting and inspiring, but you also have to be savvy enough to find your way around hundreds of different online portals (none of which are user friendly) and be diligent enough to meet strict deadlines and compile loads and loads of paperwork. At my organization we submit about 15-30 applications every month and every single application has different requirements and expectations in order to receive funding. The work doesn't stop when an application is turned in. Once we get that funding it adds another to-do to our list, m...

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...