Skip to main content

When a pregnant lady can't eat...

I can't eat my lunch right now because I'm too worked up. So I have to write.

I just got off the phone with J's teacher. His school is a block schedule so he only has two teachers/classes at a time. She expressed to me her concern because J is failing her class. He's been blowing off a big project when he had more than enough time to work on it. If he had turned it in, he'd be passing the class. He could still turn it in and pass the class--if he's motivated to do that.

Beyond that he's rude and disrespectful and swears a lot and doesn't seem to care what others think of him. I know that's preached as a good thing to most kids but trust me--it's not. When a teacher asks you if you want to join the baseball team and your response is "No I don't want to do that. You bug me." there's a problem. When you show up to school with a comforter instead of a jacket even though you have jackets at home--there's a problem with that.

And I know everyone is going to tell me "You just have to give him more structure. Take away a few more privileges." But seriously--what is that accomplishing?! Punishments do not work for him. He had all his privileges taken away at his last school. Did it help him pass his classes? No. Did it drive me crazy? Yes.

Brendon and I have been watching "A Million Little Things." It's a really good show. In the episode last night one of the characters was struggling because she felt like she should have done more to help her depressed brother. But there was nothing she could have done. And it haunts her. I feel like I will forever be haunted in the same way. There is nothing I can do. His actions are out of my hands.

Yes, right now I'm the parent. For one more year I have that job. And I don't want to spend it taking everything away. I want to spend it giving all the loving advice and encouragement I can. I want to spend it building trust. I want to spend it filling every need so when he looks back he can never point out anything I didn't do to help him. Despite what it may look like--I'm doing the best I can. It will just never be enough. Somehow a parent is supposed to live with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...