Skip to main content

Uplifting

We traveled to Salt Lake this week to participate in Brendon's orientation for his new job as a full time seminary teacher and as I look back over the past two days I feel like the best way to describe it is uplifting.

No other job compares to this one. No other company will tell you you will change lives and you will prepare a generation for achieving eternal happiness. No other company will tell you exactly how to be worthy of that charge.

There is a lot of pressure with this new position. We, as a couple, are encouraged to be ambassadors of the Lord. We are encouraged to be examples of an exemplary marriage and a Christ-centered home. We are encouraged to be lifelong learners and to respectfully accept criticism. We are asked to love the unlovable.

For the next two years Brendon will teach full time while also completing some projects, meeting regularly with a mentor, and continually being observed. At the end of the two years he'll be encouraged to get a Masters degree and some day work for a Doctorate. We'll have the opportunity in the future to ask to be moved--anywhere in the world--to teach and grow the seminary program.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm taking away from the past two days. I feel uplifted. I feel excited. I feel honored to be a part of this. I'm not going to be in the classroom with Brendon but they made it very clear that the relationships you have at home will effect your ability to teach with the spirit. And so I feel this responsibility to ensure Brendon's relationships at home are the best they can be. I can't wait to see how this job will change the way he interacts with our kids--all of them.

I cried several times. Because I do that. But it just keeps hitting me how wonderful and important and special this career is. How important it is for me to encourage and be as involved as I can. And how there are angels counting on me, to help Brendon, to help his students. Ultimately it will all help our eternal family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...