Skip to main content

Little heartbreak

It might be too early for me to write this post. I may not have fully processed everything yet. I'm still doing exactly what the doctor told me not to do--blaming myself.

We found out yesterday the baby is gone. I went in for a routine check up. The doctor was running an hour behind so I told Brendon not to bother coming with me. I'd had a little spotting the night before. I wasn't worried about it.

As soon as I was called back the bleeding became more serious. I told the nurse I had to leave very soon to get back to work--could we skip ahead to the ultrasound? They did. It was almost instantly apparent something was wrong. The heartbeat was missing.

I got Brendon on the phone as the vaginal ultrasound was done. The bleeding was getting much worse. Still no heartbeat. The doctor placed his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes and said "I'm sorry."

He gave me one rule to follow. "Do not drive yourself crazy thinking about everything you've done over the past few days that could have caused this. Every woman does it. Honestly it's genetics. It happens in 20% of pregnancies and 50% of the time it's just genetic."

But I still am. Because I know the death JUST happened. I felt the tiny heart beat Saturday night. That might be crazy but I swear I felt it. So what did I do Saturday or Sunday that I shouldn't have?

I feel like I got most of my tears out weeks ago when we thought it had happened the first time--but I'm still sad now. I had my heart set on a baby. Now I'm paying the same price for a surgery to remove one. 

Logically I know it's not the end. We got pregnant easily before. We can get pregnant easily again. But can I do this again? Am I more likely to do this again?

The girls were very sad but understanding when we told them. Eisley, always the optimist, said "So you can hold me again?" And she demanded to be held and to sit in my lap all night. There were lots of hugs and snuggles. Kaybree was sad we didn't even get to find out if it was a boy or a girl. She asked if we had to get rid of all the baby stuff. I told her not yet. Not yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...