Skip to main content

I'm your new case manager!

"Hello, Ms. Hurtado? I'm J's newly-assigned case manager."

I laugh. "Maybe this week you are..."

That's not usually how the conversation goes, but maybe it should.

We've had J in our home for five months. In that time we've had two DCS case managers (that's not including the one who originally submitted his case to Casey), two school IEP case managers, one attorney/GAL and one assistant for the GAL, one social worker (thank goodness for the one!), two JFCS (behavioral health) case managers, two psychiatrists (or psychologists? I always forget the difference), two parent coaches (we declined a third) and one parent therapist. No wonder J has a hard time remembering names--and faces.

I knew getting into fostering that there would be a lot of people in and out but honestly the rumors about it happening quickly were no joke. All of these people are very nice and for the most part I'm able to keep them straight (but J and Brendon are hopeless) but I can understand now why J doesn't like talking about his past--or really anything that has to do with foster care.

ALL of these people come into the case with NO information. Each of them has to start from scratch getting caught up on what's going on. Would you like to tell your life's story (only the bad parts of course cause that's all they care about) to a new person each month? And then just sit by while they judge what might "help" you--especially when you don't feel like you need any help. You just want to live!

I knew what I was getting into by becoming a foster parent. The appointments and case managers don't bother me. But if I were a child, I'd be devastated. I imagine each new "team" member feels like a betrayal of the last. It's not their fault, I completely understand that, but a child might not.


As the manager of all case managers I'm really proud of my role. This is not my job. This is my passion. I'm excited to see J through to the end when he can leave all these case managers behind and manage his own life. I know he can do it. He's doing so well right now. I'm so proud of the boy he is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...