Skip to main content

Potty Training

I taught a lesson in Sunday School last Sunday about agency's role in learning and it made me laugh a little bit. You girls are definitely teaching me agency's role in learning. My best example is with potty training.

I tried twice to potty train you, Kaybree. Twice. The first time was really not much of an effort. You seemed interested so I went with it. You lost interest quickly but it frustrated me because you showed me that you COULD do it--if you wanted to. You could pee on demand, but you hated being asked to go potty.

The second time I really got prepared. I sent everyone else away from the house. I bought stickers. I got a coloring book that came with a bell for you to ring when you went potty. I bought a special potty training doll for you to train while you learned. I set up a tray of treats and I was prepared to stay in doors all weekend until you were trained.
Well, you got sick of that real quick. The treats became bribes. Then we needed to leave the house! It was a disaster. You hated it.

So I said fine, I wasn't going to try again till you were "ready." Whatever that means.

Then a miracle happened. Several months later (a few weeks ago) you began talking about the potty to Shaunelle. She told me to send you in panties the next day, so I did, but I still packed enough diapers to get you through the day.

And ta-da, you were potty trained by the time I picked you up. Seriously. You had two accidents the next day and I think one accident after that and that has been it. A few days after you decided to potty train yourself you decided you were never going back. You DEMANDED to wear panties at all times--even at night. You've never had a dry night--until now. Suddenly you sleep all night totally dry. It's ridiculous.

I'm beyond thrilled, don't get me wrong, but I've known for months you could do it so it's silly to me how quickly it happened once you knew you could do it.

I shouldn't really be surprised. You did the same thing with walking. You could do it at 12 months but you waited until you were sure at 15 months. Eisley is apparently doing the same. (Better hurry up baby, if you don't walk in the next three months we have to send you to a physical therapist!)

I love you girls. You drive me crazy by choosing to reach these milestones on your own timeline but I'm hoping it's helping you learn now how your agency works and how the choices you make can change your life. I chose you and I'm so glad I did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did it!

Today, I achieved a great professional achievement. I got my CFRE. It’s a big deal.  Brendon is out of town so I took the girls to get sushi to celebrate. This was our conversation on the way home.  *Passed by a Husband and Wife Law Team billboard Eisley: That dude wears suspenders. I would not call them first. I would call Jonathan first.  Me: I would call Brother Briggs first because he’s a criminal defense lawyer. Jon does HOA law which would not be very useful. Eisley: Ooo yeah. I feel like I’m going to be that kid some day. I’d call Brittany because she has experience, then Bro Briggs.  Me: You’re going to be the one to call to hide a body?  Eisley: Yeah. I’ll probably already be hiding one. I feel like I’m the Brittany, Aspen is Brodie, Kaybree is Dad.  Kaybree: Hmmm, I’m not sure. Aspen—do you like girls? Aspen: What? Kaybree: Just, would you like to marry a girl one day? Aspen: No.  Eisley: If you did, we would love her.  And then we all l...

Tearful moments

In January I cried through my appointments with my oncology doctor and surgeons. The whole idea of having a preventative mastectomy was overwhelming.  I made my peace with it. I made a plan for myself. Work slows down near the end of the year and we get all sorts of holidays so I thought if I could take my time off then, I would be fine. I made it through two whole doctor's appointments with no tears and no fear, because I had a plan, and then today that was messed up. My doctor told me reconstruction could take up to three months--which means I can't do the surgery when I originally planned if I want to get it all done in one calendar year (for insurance purposes). She suggested moving it up to August. That is next month. And if we do the surgery in August that means our family trip we have planned for October--it's a no. Camping trip I planned for September? Probably not. And honestly that all makes me more upset than anything. And suddenly I'm crying again.  I want t...

Memories

Originally written 4/15/26 I volunteered to be a “fun” mom tomorrow and participate in “Whose mom is it?” During primary. There will be four moms with bags on our heads and we will answer questions and the kids will have to guess who it is. Problem is the questions are so hard! I’ll paste them here and practice my answers. What’s your “mom superpower” (besides finding lost things)? I think maybe filling out paperwork? I excel at that.  What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said as a mom? Probably “no more licking your sister’s feet.” How long can you hide in the bathroom before someone notices? I think 15 minutes before they start wondering where I’m at but a solid hour till they find me. What’s your most-used mom phrase? I don’t know. Maybe “Do it yourself?” Have you ever eaten candy in secret so you didn’t have to share? Of course. ⸻ 🍕 Everyday Mom Life Humor What’s your go-to “I don’t feel like cooking” dinner? Chicken Alfredo. Or beans and rice. What chore do you pr...